All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionWith the publication of the Parerga and Paralipomena in 1851, there finally came some measure of the fame that Schopenhauer thought was his due. Described by Schopenhauer himself as 'incomparably more popular than everything up till w', the Parerga is a miscellany of essays addressing themes that complement his work The World as Will and Representation, along with more divergent, speculative pieces. It includes his 'Aphorisms on the Wisdom of Life', reflections on fate and clairvoyance, trenchant views on the philosophers and universities of his day, and an enlightening survey of the history of philosophy. The present volume offers a new translation, a substantial introduction explaining the context of the essays, and extensive editorial tes on the different published versions of the work. This readable and scholarly edition will be an essential reference for those studying Schopenhauer, the history of philosophy, and nineteenth-century German philosophy.
- Author BiographySabine Roehr is Assistant Professor of Philosophy at New Jersey City University. She is the author of Hubert Fichte: Poetische Erkenntnis. Montage, Synkretismus, Mimesis (1985) and A Primer on German Enlightenment (1995). Christopher Janaway is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southampton. His most recent books include Schopenhauer: A Very Short Introduction (2002) and Beyond Selflessness: Reading Nietzsche's Genealogy (2007). His most recently edited collections include The Cambridge Companion to Schopenhauer (Cambridge, 2000) and Better Consciousness: Schopenhauer's Philosophy of Value (2009, co-edited with Alex Neill). He is General Editor of The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Schopenhauer series, for which he has translated The Two Fundamental Problems of Ethics (2009) and co-translated The World as Will and Representation, Volume 1 (2010).
- Author(s)Arthur Schopenhauer
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication04/08/2016
- Series TitleThe Cambridge Edition of the Works of Schopenhauer
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight690 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.