All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis guide to Schubert's much-loved song cycle explores both the music and the poetry from a variety of perspectives. It includes biography and cultural history, literary interpretation, source studies, and musical analysis. The genesis of both Wilhelm Muller's poetry, which began as a literary salon game in 1816, and the music, composed soon after Schubert discovered that he had contracted syphilis, is discussed in the first two chapters, which also include little-kwn information about the poet, the premier of the cycle, and Eduard Hanslick's critiques later in the nineteenth century. The chapters on the poetry discuss Muller's uneasy relationship to the tenets of Romanticism; the influence of Goethe, folk poems, and medieval poetry on Die schone Mullerin; and provide a reading of each of the poems, which are reproduced in German and English translation. The last and lengthiest chapter consists of brief analytical commentary on each of the twenty songs in Schubert's masterpiece.
- Author(s)Susan Youens
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/08/1992
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleCambridge Music Handbooks
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus.
- Weight180 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Series Edited byJulian Rushton
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.46
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.