All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionFor science to remain a legitimate and trustworthy source of kwledge, society will have to engage in the collective processes of kwledge co-production, which t only includes science, but also other types of kwledge. This process of change has to include a new commitment to kwledge creation and transmission and its role in a plural society. This book proposes to consider new ways in which science can be used to sustain our planet and enrich our lives. It helps to release and reactivate social responsibility within contemporary science and techlogy. It reviews critically relevant cases of contemporary scientific practice within the Cartesian paradigm, relabelled as 'invation research', promoted as essential for the progress and well-being of humanity, and characterised by high capital investment, centralised control of funding and quality, exclusive expertise, and a reductionism that is philosophical as well as methodological. This is an accessible and relevant book for scholars in Science and Techlogy Studies, History and Philosophy of Science, and Science, Engineering and Techlogy Ethics. Providing an array of concrete examples, it supports scientists, engineers and technical experts, as well as policy-makers and other n-technical professionals working with science and techlogy to re-direct their approach to global problems, in a more integrative, self-reflective and humble direction.
- Author BiographyAngela Guimaraes Pereira is a scientific officer of the Joint Research Centre - European Commission, Ispra, Italy. Silvio Funtowicz is Professor at the Centre for the Study of the Sciences and the Humanities of the University of Bergen, Norway.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/02/2015
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleRoutledge Explorations in Sustainability and Governance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white line drawings
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byAngela Guimaraes Pereira,Silvio Funtowicz
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.