All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the encounter between western and Asian models of public health and medicine in a range of East and Southeast Asian countries over the course of the twentieth century until w. It discusses the transfer of scientific kwledge of medicine and public health approaches from Europe and the United States to several Asian countries - Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Japan, Taiwan, and China - and local interactions with, and transformations of, these public health models and approaches from the nineteenth century to the 1950s. Taking a critical look at assumptions about the objectiveness of science, the book highlights the use of scientific kwledge for political control, cultural manipulation, social transformation and ecomic needs. It rigorously and systematically investigates the historical developments of public health concepts, policies, institutions, and how these practices changed from colonial, to post-colonial and into the present day.
- Author BiographyLiping Bu is Professor of History at Alma College, Michigan. Her publications include Making the World Like Us: Education, Cultural Expansion, and the American Century. Darwin H. Stapleton is Professor of History at University of Massachusetts-Boston, and Executive Director Emeritus of the Rockefeller Archive Center, USA. He is the editor of Creating a Tradition of Biomedical Research: Contributions to the History of The Rockefeller University. Ka-che Yip is Professor of History at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, USA. Recent publications include, as editor, Disease, Colonialism, and the State: Malaria in East Asian History.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/08/2014
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight294 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byDarwin H. Stapleton,Ka-Che Yip,Liping Bu
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.