All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew people, if any, still argue that science in all its aspects is a value-free endeavor. At the very least, values affect decisions about the choice of research problems to investigate and the uses to which the results of research are applied. But what about the actual doing of science? As Science, Values, and Objectivity reveals, the connections and interactions between values and science are quite complex. The essays in this volume identify the crucial values that play a role in science, distinguish some of the criteria that can be used for value identification, and elaborate the conditions for warranting certain values as necessary or central to the very activity of scientific research. Recently, social constructivists have taken the presence of values within the scientific model to question the basis of objectivity. However, the contributors to Science, Values, and Objectivity recognize that such ackwledgment of the role of values does t negate the fact that objects exist in the world. Objects have the power to constrain our actions and thoughts, though the rms for these thoughts lie in the public, social world. Values may be decried or defended, praised or blamed, but in a world that strives for a modicum of reason, values, too, must be reasoned. Critical assessment of the values that play a role in scientific research is as much a part of doing good science as interpreting data.
- Author BiographyPeter Machamer is a professor in the Department of History and Philosophy of Science and Associate Director of the Center for Philosophy of Science at the University of Pittsburgh.Gereon Wolters is a professor of philosophy and Deputy Director of the Center for Philosophy of Science at the University of Konstanz.
- PublisherUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2011
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byGereon Wolters,Peter Machamer
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.77
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.