Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionIn popular culture, science and theology have often been portrayed as antagonistic. Some writers have described the history of the debate in terms of a surrender by theology, a retreat from the field of engagement: theology has abandoned the public arena, leaving all creation to science, and has opted instead for the safer ground of ethics, morality and personal or private belief. Science and Theology advocates a constructive dialogue between the two subjects and suggests the topics where they might meet. The essays in this volume were commissioned from leading figures around the world - experts in their own disciplines, but enthusiasts for debate at the science and theology interface. They include Norma Emerton, Owen Gingerich, Nancey Murphy, John Polkinghorne, John Puddefoot and Carver T. Yu. They discuss natural theology, the methodologies of science and theology, and theology in the light of scientific discovery. Their themes cover scientism, divine action in the world, the problem of evil, freedom and determinism, reductionism and humanity, the limits of kwledge, and chaos theory. Together, these essays offer a significant and positive contribution to one of the most exciting areas of modern thought.
- Author BiographyMurray Rae is Professor of Theology and Religion at the University of Otago, New Zealand. Hilary Regan is the Executive Officer of ATF Press in Adelaide, Australia. John Stenhouse is Associate Professor in the Department of History and Art History and Theory at the University of Otago, New Zealand.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication06/10/2016
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleReligious Studies: Bloomsbury Academic Collections
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight561 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byHilary Regan,John Stenhouse,Murray Rae
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.