All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, the German history of The Merchant of Venice highlights the Central European detour that Shakespearean reception underwent in Hebrew and Yiddish. Such a detour, with its various discomforts, is used to penetrate a current historical and political historiography, rendering Shylock a character that remembers various languages and locations, as well as multiple alternatives for political self-definition. This complex Shakespearean character speaks in many voices and for various purposes and is the only character that can provide the missing link between two contradictory Jewish stereotypes - a persecuted and victimized underling and a merciless and violent plaintive, holding out his knife to draw blood.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Dror Abend-David graduated from New York University with a Ph.D. in comparative literature in 2001. He is currently Assistant Professor at Bilkent University in Ankara, Turkey, and has published academic articles, translations, poetry, and short stories in various magazines and collections.
- Author(s)Dror Abend-David
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/12/2003
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleComparative Cultures & Literatures
- Series Part/Volume Number16
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight470 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.