Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $34.86+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs in so many areas of Britain sacred wells persist in Scotland in the face of modernity. Holy Wells: Scotland is an exploration of just some of the many hundreds of wells in the country, carefully researched and beautifully photographed by experienced well-hunter Phil Cope. The book is a sweeping journey from the rthwards from the Borders through mainland Scotland to the Orkney s before sweeping through the Hebrides to end on the sacred isle of Iona. On his travels Cope finds a multiplicity of wells with a variety of functions, ancient and modern. From the wells of Calton Hill in Edinburgh (place of an annual pagan festival), to modestly developed springs in fields or on the deserted coastline come healing wells, cursing wells, and wells named for saints, Satan, witches, angels, fairies, heroes and poets. And attached to many are folk tales, myths and legends, which Cope relates in his accompanying narrative, along conversations with contemporary well-users and poems inspired by Scottish wells. The first book on Scottish wells for over three decades, and the first to be so lavishly illustrated with colour photographs, Holy Wells: Scotland is both a record of some of the country's many wells and a celebration of their continuing relevance to the identity of Scotland today. Holy Wells: Scotland is the fourth title in the Holy Wells series, which includes books on Wales, Cornwall and Borderlands.
- Author BiographyPhil Cope is a photographer, writer and teacher, and the designer of several major exhibitions and books, including Let Paul Robeson Sing!, Wise and Foolish Dreamers: Wales and the Spanish Civil War and Following the Flame, linked to the 2012 Olympics. His interest in holy wells began in 2002 and has shaped much of his work and leisure since. His books Holy Wells: Wales, Holy Wells: Cornwall and Borderlands accompanied successful touring exhibitions of his images in the UK and the US.
- Author(s)Phil Cope
- PublisherPoetry Wales Press
- Date of Publication23/04/2015
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Series TitleHoly Wells
- Place of PublicationBridgend
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight1338 g
- Width220 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.