All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is the defining Scottish experience? The Kirk, Scots Law, Hampden Park? There are several contenders, but school is the universal and enduring one. Stories and myths have clustered around its chief features: *Pupils as lads o' pairts. *Teachers as dominies. *The democratic intellect. *The village skweel. *Hard work, getting on and the power of the tawse. *Academic excellence and 'sticking in'. Telling the tale of Scotland's educational experience over the past 250 years, this book draws on the first-hand testimony of pupils, teachers and parents - with extracts taken from biography, local history, journal and oral interview, along with fascinating contemporary photographs. The anthologised material is accompanied by David Northcroft's narrative outlining the history of the distinctive Scottish school system. By drawing out key themes of identity, nationalism and 'democracy', he sets the claims that have traditionally been made for the system's excellence and independent spirit against the accounts of people's actual experiences. This history, enhanced by the personal stories of those involved, offers the reader a vivid account of the experience of Scottish schooling.Key Features: *Strong 'stalgia' market for books of this kind. *Draws on broad range of personal testimony. *Includes extracts from Tom Devine, John Galt, Hugh Miller, Magnus Magnusson, Neil Munro, Alan Spence and T. C. Smout. *Each section is prefaced with an editorial introduction - taken together, they trace the Scottish educational experience over the past 250 years.
- Author BiographyA retired teacher of English, David Northcroft's last position was as Vice Principal of Northern College of Education (1990-1998). He is currently a Research Associate at the Elphinstone Institute at Aberdeen University. He has written articles for numerous professional journals and is editor of North-east Identities and Scottish Schooling (Aberdeen University Press, forthcoming).
- Author(s)David Northcroft
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication24/04/2003
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note24 illus
- Weight443 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.