All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe recent discovery of German wartime suffering has had a particularly profound impact in German visual culture. Films from Margarethe von Trotta's Rosenstrasse (2003) to Oliver Hirschbiegel's Oscar-minated Downfall (2004) and the two-part television mini-series Dresden (2006) have shown how ordinary Germans suffered during and after the war. Such films have been presented by critics as treating a topic that had been taboo for German filmmakers. However, the representation of wartime suffering has a long tradition on the German screen. For decades, filmmakers have recontextualized images of Germans as victims to engage shifting social and ideological discourses. By focusing on this process, the present volume explores how the changing representation of Germans as victims has shaped the ways in which both of the postwar German states and the w-unified nation have attempted to face the trauma of the past and to construct a contemporary place for themselves in the world. Contributors: Sean Allan, Tim Bergfelder, Daniela Berghahn, Erica Carter, David Clarke, John E. Davidson, Sabine Hake, Jennifer Kapczynski, Manuel Koppen, Rachel Palfreyman, Brad Prager, Johannes von Moltke. Paul Cooke is Professor of German Cultural Studies at the University of Leeds and Marc Silberman is Professor of German at the University of Wisconsin.
- Author BiographyPaul Cooke is Senior Lecturer in German at the University of Leeds.
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication30/07/2010
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleScreen Cultures: German Film and the Visual
- Place of PublicationColumbia, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2010
- ImprintCamden House Inc
- Content Note49, 49 black and white
- Weight635 g
- Width157 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byMarc Silberman,Paul Cooke
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.