All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe geopolitical influence of the United States informs the processes of racialization in Puerto Rico, including the construction of black places. In Scripts of Blackness, Isar P. Godreau explores how Puerto Rican national discourses about race--created to overcome U.S. colonial power--simultaneously privilege whiteness, typecast blackness, and silence charges of racism. Based on an ethgraphic study of the barrio of San Anton in the city of Ponce, Scripts of Blackness examines institutional and local representations of blackness as developing from a power-laden process that is inherently selective and political, t neutral or natural. Godreau traces the presumed benevolence or triviality of slavery in Puerto Rico, the favoring of a Spanish colonial whiteness (under a hispaphile discourse), and the insistence on a harmonious race mixture as discourses that thrive on a presumed contrast with the United States that also characterize Puerto Rico as morally superior. In so doing, she outlines the debates, social hierarchies, and colonial discourses that inform the racialization of San Anton and its residents as black. Mining ethgraphic materials and anthropological and historical research, Scripts of Blackness provides powerful insights into the critical political, ecomic, and historical context behind the strategic deployment of blackness, whiteness, and racial mixture.
- Author BiographyIsar P. Godreau is a researcher at and former director of the Institute for Interdisciplinary Research at the University of Puerto Rico at Cayey.
- Author(s)Isar P. Godreau
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication20/01/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleGlobal Studies of the United States
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note38 black and white photographs, 1 chart, 3 tables
- Weight540 g
- Width3971 mm
- Height5983 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.29Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.