All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe last few years have brought about many changes in the field of marine and freshwater toxins, with advances in analytical techlogy and the realization that these toxins are a global issue. Offering a complete reference guide, Seafood and Freshwater Toxins: Pharmacology, Physiology, and Detection, Third Edition addresses all aspects of the social and scientific influence of phytotoxins, from legislation and monitoring to new drug development. Covering many new topics, the book examines three main aspects: monitoring of toxins; chemical, mechanistic, and toxicological diversity; and detection techlogies. New to this edition: *35 new chapters and 5 updated chapters * A focus on state-of-the-art methodology * Coverage of new techlogies to cultivate algae and to identify, isolate, and quantify toxins * Regulatory changes * Climate change evidence * Expanded information on toxicology Part I of the book includes an overview and reviews general issues related to toxin detection, ecology, and diversity, and effects of climate change. Part II covers impacts of toxins regarding epidemiology, toxicology, ecomics, and surveillance. Part III explores available detection techlogies, such as functional assays, biosensors, mass spectrometry, natechlogy, and more. In addition, standard reference materials for toxins are discussed. Parts IV to VI provide detailed descriptions of toxin chemical diversity, biological sources, and modes of action. Part VII addresses the use of toxins as starting points for therapeutic drugs for cancer, neurological disorders, and for vel antibiotics.
- Author BiographyLuis M. Botana is a full professor of pharmacology at the University of Santiago de Compostela Spain. His group is a world reference in research on marine toxins, their toxicity, methodological detection, and mechanism of action. Dr. Botana has published more than 200 international papers, 30 doctoral theses, 25 patents, and several international projects in the field (PharmaSea, Pharmatlantic, Atlantox, Biocop, Detectox, Conffidence, Ciguatools, Beads, Aqua, Aptafood, and Bammbo).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication04/04/2014
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note229 black & white illustrations, 106 black & white tables
- Weight2267 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine69 mm
- Edited byLuis M. Botana
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.