Sealed by Time: The Loss and Recovery of the Mary Rose by Mary Rose Trust Limited (Hardback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $28.84+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.96+ AU $6.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough the wreck of the Mary Rose was raised twenty years ago, the excavations of the ship and the conservation work have never been published in full. Now the Mary Rose Trust, with the Heritage Lottery Fund, is publishing the complete history of the project and its research up to the present day in five highly illustrated volumes, revealing a wealth of information on all aspects of the ship.Sealed by Time: The Loss and Recovery of the Mary Rose traces the history of the Mary Rose from great naval vessel to ruius shipwreck to an outstanding museum display. The Mary Rose was an extraordinary ship. Built to a new design, she was one of the first great British warships. Her career spanned all but a few years of Henry VIII's reign and she had a place in most of his wars. Combining for the first time all that is kwn from contemporary documents and the archaeological evidence, Peter Marsden and a team of specialists give a fascinating overview of her history. They set out details of the circumstances of her building, participation in three wars with France, repairs and rebuilds, and finally the tragic sinking with massive loss of life in Portsmouth Harbour in 1545 as she prepared to encounter the French fleet. Also described are the place of the ship in naval and seafaring history, the vel aspects of her shape and construction, how she performed at sea, her structure, rigging and armoury. Bringing the story up-to-date, further chapters describe the epic project to excavate and salvage the ship. In 1982 the hull was raised from the seabed, an event watched by millions on television. Subsequently a museum able to display the massive structure was created. Beautifully illustrated with contemporary paintings and documents as well as photos of the excavations and some of the 26,000 objects recovered, Sealed by Time will be of great interest to historians, archaeologists, and the general reader.
- Author BiographyPeter Marsden is one of Britain's leading experts in maritime archaeology. He has been responsible for excavating a number of important shipwrecks, most notably in London. His major publications include two volumes on the Ships of the Port of London (English Heritage 1994) and Ships and Shipwrecks (Batsford 1997). He is currently Director of the Shipwreck Heritage Centre in Hastings.
- PublisherMary Rose Trust Limited
- Date of Publication19/07/2003
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleArchaeology of the Mary Rose S.
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 1
- Place of PublicationPortsmouth
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMary Rose Trust Limited
- Content Noteb/w photos. line-drawings and figs throughout
- Weight984 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byPeter Marsden
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.