All listings for this product
About this product
- Descriptionn this second edition of his popular volume on Heaney, Andrew Murphy charts the trajectory of Heaney's career as a poet and places his work within its various contexts. Seamus Heaney is one of the foremost poets of his generation and his work is highly prized by scholars and general readers alike. It is a measure of his success as a writer, and of the high-esteem in which he is held, that he has been appointed to professorships at both Harvard and Oxford and that he was, in 1995 awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. The appeal of Heaney's poetry lies in its gracefulness, its meticulous attention to the sound and structure of language, and the range of topics engaged by the poet from the precise particulity of the local and the familial to greater political, social and cultural themes. Heaney's poetry is seen within the framework of the Irish poetic tradition and the poet is also located within his crucial social and political context as a writer from the North of Ireland, who seeks a fruitful engagement with the conflicts affecting his homeland. Heaney emerges from this clearly written study as a complex and multi-faceted figure, passionately engaged by poetry and politics alike.
- Author BiographyAndrew Murphy is Lecturer in English at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. He is author of But the Irish Sea Betwixt Is: Ireland, Colonialism, and Renaissance Literature (1999) and the editor of The Renaissance Text (2000). His work on Irish and Renaissance topics has appeared in a wide range of journals and essay collections, including Eire-Ireland, Irish Studies Review, Irish Review, Literature and History, and Shakespeare and Ireland: History, Politics and Culture. Dr. Murphy was awarded a Leverhulme Fellowship for the academic year 2000/1.
- Author(s)Andrew Murphy
- PublisherNorthcote House Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationTavistock
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNorthcote House Publishers Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Edition Statement3rd
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.