All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArtist Josie Iselin celebrates the diversity and beauty of nature with her exquisite portraits of seashells. Like her extremely popular Beach Stones and Leaves & Pods , Seashells is t a field guide but an artful and informative portrayal of a beloved part of our natural world. While it draws upon unparallelled shell collections, Seashells balances the exotic with the familiar, from tropical corals and rare fossils to everyday clamshells and barnacles. As in her previous books, Iselin arranges these precious natural objects into striking images, which she produces on a flatbed scanner. In her introduction and captions, marine geologist and paleontologist, Sandra J. Carlson introduces the reader to seashells in all their variety, explaining why they look as they do. Both an art book and a contemplation of nature, Seashells combines aesthetic delight in natural things with scientific fact and philosophical wonder.
- Author BiographyJosie Iselin is a photographer and installation artist. She holds a Bachelor's degree from in Visual and Environmental Studies from Harvard and a Master of Fine Arts from San Francisco State University. Although her training is in traditional photography, she now produces images exclusively with a flatbed scanner and a computer. Her work has been exhibited at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, Intersection for the Arts, SF Camerawork, and art galleries in and around San Francisco, where she lives. Sandra J. Carlson is a Professor in the Geology Department of the University of California in Davis. She is a paleontologist specialising in marine invertebrates. She lives in San Francisco.
- Date of Publication01/06/2007
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarry N. Abrams, Inc.
- Content Notecl / bw / tt illustrations, cl90 / bw / tt90 photographs
- Weight480 g
- Width178 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Illustrator(s)Josie Iselin
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.