Second Avenue Caper: When Goodfellas, Divas, and Dealers Plotted Against the Plague by Joyce Brabner, Ray Dobbins (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.47+ AU $7.50 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $31.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the 2015 Lambda Literary Award for Best LGBT Graphic NovelA Village Voice Best Graphic Novel of 2014 The rewned graphic-book author Joyce Brabner's Second Avenue Caper is the true story of a tight-knit group of artists and activists living in New York City in the early 1980s who found themselves on the front lines in the fight against AIDS.Struggling to understand the disease and how they could help, they made a deal with a bona fide goodfella, donned masterful disguises, piled into an A-Team van, and set off for the border, determined to save their bedridden friends by smuggling an experimental drug into the United States from Mexico.With their community in crisis and the world turned against them, this impassioned gang of misfits never gave up hope as they searched for ways to raise awareness and beat the plague. Fast-paced, poignant, and beautifully illustrated by the award-winning illustrator Mark Zingarelli, Second Avenue Caper is a heartfelt tribute to the generation that faced down AIDS.
- Author BiographyJoyce Brabner is an award-winning author of nonfiction comics about tough social issues. She frequently collaborated with her late husband, Harvey Pekar, on his American Splendor series. Her own titles include the Real War Stories series, Activists!, Brought to Light (with Alan Moore), numerous short stories, and Our Cancer Year (also with Harvey). She lives in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, and is rather more lighthearted than any of the actresses who have portrayed her in various plays or in that movie.Mark Zingarelli is an American comics creator, illustrator, and writer who has worked as a freelancer for the past thirty-six years. His first comics stories were published in Robert Crumb's comics anthology magazine WEIRDO in the mid-1980s. He worked with Harvey Pekar and Joyce Brabner on American Splendor and contributed to the film biopic of the same name. His illustration work and comics have appeared in many national publications, including The New Yorker, Esquire, and Time. He lives in a small town near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Author(s)Joyce Brabner,Ray Dobbins
- PublisherHill & Wang
- Date of Publication18/11/2014
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHill & Wang
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width198 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Illustrator(s)Mark Zingarelli
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.25Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.