All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLondon has been a witness to history for over 2,000 years. It has seen itself grow from a small trading centre founded by the Romans and growing to the large Roman town of Londinium. When they departed Britain in the 4th Century, London went through many changes until it reached the present day. It was severely damaged by the Great Fire of London in 1666, its population suffered and died in great numbers during the Black Death and the Plague. It has been host to public riots and uprisings. Royalty came, went and returned again. All of these events have left their mark in the fabric of London. But many of the reminders of such major events in London's history are mostly w gone. Well, almost. If you look hard eugh and you kw where to go, you can still find those objects and places that echo the stories of the past. And they do t mark just the big events of the past. There are also reminders of individual people whose stories reflect a more human insight of what life was like in the London of the past. All of the secret and hidden objects and places in this book have one thing in common. Whether they refer to famous events or to more individual affairs, their stories are fascinating and have the ability to take us back in time to once again feel a link to those Londoners that went before us. And finally, all of these places still exist and can be visited. If you cant get to London, then you will find photographs of each of these places within the book.
- Author BiographyJohn Pullen has spent most of his career in media, first as a cameraman, then as a writer, director and producer of factual programmes. His worst moment came when he accidently hit Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher hard on the head with his video camera. He has also written many books over the years, both fiction and non-fiction. The latter encompasses general and professional aviation, medicine and history. A number of his novels are fantasy adventures and are aimed at young adults and adults who are young. He also organises Historic Guided Walks in London. Currently he lives near London and for relaxation flies planes and plays tennis.
- Author(s)John Pullen
- Date of Publication07/04/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $33.67Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.