All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRuth Larson saved nearly 700 letters she and her husband Bob exchanged during World War II. Opening the box while his mother lay dying, her son Bruce expected to find commonplace details of his parents early life together. He instead discovered a story of deception, obsession, and betrayal.Reading through the letters, he is drawn into his parents courtship amid the hardships of separation and war. Beyond the tumultuous romance, Larson finds that he barely recognizes his father, whom he knew only as distant and impassive. He uncovers shocking truths about his mother, Ruth, whom family lore had pigeonholed as sweetly pious.At the time of the letters, Bob is a young Coast Guard clerk fighting off depression with thoughts of his dream girl back home. Back in Minnesota, Ruth passes the days adrift in romantic fantasies and liaisons with local admirers. Bob s suspicions about Ruth and his obsession with her from afar threaten the young man s fragile hold on his sanity, but he will t give her up. Decades later, their son comes to feel a tenderness for both his parents and to understand how their losses, fears, and reluctance can transform and refashion family bonds.
- Author BiographyR. Bruce Larson grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and in Michigan s Upper Peninsula. He holds a Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Hawaii, a master s degree in anthropology from the University of Iowa, and a master s degree in theology from Bethel Seminary. He is also the author of Living Stewardship: New Church Participants . He lives in Marquette and Republic, Michigan.
- Author(s)R Bruce Larson
- PublisherUniversity of Missouri
- Date of Publication12/08/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Missouri
- Weight318 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.68Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.