All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen her home is destroyed in the Luftwaffe bombing of the North Strand, Dublin in 1941, Grace Ryan is forced to move in with relatives in a different part of the city. There she meets Barry Malone, an English boy sent to neutral Ireland to escape the terrible air raids on his native city of Liverpool. Wary of each other at first, Grace and Barry become friends when she acts to stop him being bullied in his new school. Barry later saves Grace from losing her part-time job in a shop and, with school about to end, a summer of fun stretches before them in the sports club run by his teacher, Mr Pawlek. However, Barry begins to suspect Mr Pawlek of spying for the Nazis and he enrols Grace in his attempts to find proof. But what starts as an exciting challenge becomes increasingly risky, and their friendship is put to the test when their very lives hang in the balance.
- Author BiographyBrian Gallagher is a full-time writer whose plays and short stories have been produced in Ireland, Britain and Canada. He has worked extensively in radio and television, writing many dramas and documentaries. He collaborated with composer Shaun Purcell on the musical, Larkin, for which he wrote the book and lyrics, and on Winds of Change for RTE's Lyric FM. Brian is the author of five books of historical fiction for young readers: Across the Divide, set during the 1913 Dublin Lockout; Taking Sides, which takes place against the backdrop of the Civil War; Secrets and Shadows, a spy novel that begins with the North Strand bombings during World War II; Stormclouds, set in Northern Ireland during the turbulent summer of 1969, and the hugely popular Friend or Foe, set during the 1916 Easter Rising. Brian is also the author of four adult novels. Brian lives with his family in Dublin. Find out more about Brian's books at briangallagherwriter.com
- PrizesShortlisted for Sakura Medal: English Middle School (G6-G8) Category 2014.
- Author(s)Brian Gallagher
- PublisherO'Brien Press Ltd
- Date of Publication24/09/2012
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- First Published2012
- ImprintO'Brien Press Ltd
- Weight187 g
- Width130 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Reading AgeFrom 9
- Interest AgeFrom 9
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $169.12
- AU $25.73Trending at AU $29.63
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.54
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.79
- AU $36.20Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.82
- AU $24.72Trending at AU $29.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.