All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSecularism, Education, and Emotions: Cultural Tensions in Hebrew Palestine (1882-1926) aims to explore the sources of secularism, its social and emotional significances, its various expressions, and its thorny frictions with different religious environments during the first decades of modern settlement of Jews in Eretz-Israel (Palestine). Accordingly, this book develops four main concepts about secularism in Eretz-Israel: (1) Secularism was, in large part, a reaction against religion; (2) Secularism was t an isolated local occurrence but rather a product of the wider European cultural stage, influenced by ideas of contestation against religious dominance and nascent nationalism; (3) Secularism was essentially an emotional phemen in Europe and in Eretz-Israel likewise; (4) In the struggle between religious and secularists in Eretz-Israel, education occupied a major place as the main vehicle for the promotion of ideas. Utilizing these four main concepts, Yair Seltenreich analyzes the general European frameworks of secularism. His studies illuminate secularist features within European Jewry and its subsequent translation into the Zionist movement and the Eretz-Israeli arena. Lastly, he examines the specific struggles between religious and secularist teachers in Galilee, where the culmination of tensions and of emotional expression allows a deeper understanding of secularism as a cultural issue.
- Author BiographyYair Seltenreich holds a PhD in social history from Nantes University in France. He is a senior lecturer at Tel Hai College and Ben Gurion University of the Negev in Israel, specializing in the history of education and the history of emotions in Hebrew society in pre-state Israel. His most recent book, in Hebrew, is People from Here: Educators and Education in Galilee Moshavot During Yishuv Period (1882-1939) (2014).
- Author(s)Yair Seltenreich
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication28/04/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight510 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.