About this product
- DescriptionThis unique selection of over 200 old photographs depicts the villages of Sedgefield, Bishop Middleham and Mainsforth. Sedgefield Local History Society and Frank Bellwood have assembled a fascinating and diverse collection of images, which shows the area's history from the latter part of the nineteenth century to recent times. Also included are photographs of artefacts dating from as long ago as the Iron Age and Medieval period. The reader is taken on a picturesque tour of the villages with the book portraying their churches, houses, streets, schools and pubs. The area's rich farming heritage is recalled alongside the former industries of coal mining, quarrying and brewing. A w vanished world is vividly evoked: local transport, sport, entertainment and, most important of all, the people of the area are all remembered. Some of the images will undoubtedly stir powerful memories of days long gone, while others will introduce a younger generation t only to the past, but also to the vibrant spirit and sense of community that has forged and sustained the people of the area throughout change, prosperity and poverty.
- Author(s)Frank Bellwood,Sedgefield Historical Society
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2005
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitlePocket Images
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNonsuch Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight160 g
- Width124 mm
- Height168 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.