All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJames McGavran's new translation of Vladimir Mayakovsky's poetry is the first to fully capture the Futurist and Soviet agitprop artist's voice. Because of his work as a propagandist for the Soviet regime, and because of his posthumous enshrinement by Stalin as the best and most talented poet of our Soviet epoch, Mayakovsky has most often been interpreted--and translated--within a political context. McGavran's translations reveal a more nuanced poet who possessed a passion for word creation and linguistic manipulation. Mayakovsky's bombastic metaphors and formal elan shine through in these translations, and McGavran's commentary provides vital information on Mayakovsky, illuminating the poet's many references to the Russian literary can, his contemporaries in art and culture, and Soviet figures and policies.
- Author BiographyVladmir Mayakovsky (1893-1930), one of Russia's greatest twentieth-century writers, was a Futurist, early Bolshevik, and champion of the avant-garde. James H. McGavran III is a visiting assistant professor of Russian at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota, USA.
- Author(s)Vladimir Mayakovsky
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleNorthwestern World Classics
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight454 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Translated byJames Holt McGavran
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.