All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSelected Short Works by Klaus Mann makes available for the first time a number of pieces by the author of Mephisto and The Turning Point. Klaus Mann (1906-1949) was an early opponent of Nazism, an emigre to the United States who enlisted in the U.S. Army to fight the German fascists, and the eldest son of Nobel laureate Thomas Mann. The works in this collection include brand new translations of a vella about the final days of Ludwig II (Bavaria's Mad King Ludwig) and an essay challenging the homophobic maneuvers of certain enemies of German fascism. In addition, Selected Short Works by Klaus Mann includes a drama and three short stories written in English, all but one of which are appearing for the first time in print. One of the pieces in this volume, Speed, a Story, was considered by Christopher Isherwood to be Klaus Mann's best writing. Taken as a whole, this collection suggests Klaus Mann should, at a minimum, be considered a German-American author. Although his infatuation with and his hopes for the United States were short-lived, while in America, Klaus Mann dedicated himself to writing exclusively in English. The final four works in this collection make a rich contribution to twentieth-century American letters. These selected works will appeal to those with an interest in lesbian and gay history, exilic studies, and twentieth-century German and American literature.
- Author BiographyTimothy K. Nixon, Associate Professor of English and Modern Languages at Shepherd University, earned his PhD in English from The George Washington University and his M.A. in English from The College of William and Mary. Prior to his graduate studies, Nixon was awarded a Fulbright to Germany. Nixon's early publications consider the works of Southern writers like Eudora Welty and Walker Percy. His recent publications focus on the lives and works of exilic authors like Christopher Isherwood, Klaus Mann, and Gertrude Stein.
- Author(s)Klaus Mann
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication28/12/2015
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Series TitleAmerican University Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number113
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight440 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byTimothy K. Nixon
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.