Selected Writings: On Self-organization, Philosophy, Bioethics, and Judaism by Stefanos Geroulanos, Todd Meyers, Henri Atlan (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $62.43Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $44.48+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBest kwn for his pioneering work in theories of self-organization and complexity, the biophysicist and philosopher Henri Atlan has during the past thirty years been a major voice in contemporary European philosophical and bioethical debates. In a massive oeuvre that ranges from biology and neural network theory to Spiza's thought and the history of philosophy, and from artificial intelligence and information theory to Jewish mysticism and contemporary medical ethics, Atlan has come to offer an exceptionally powerful philosophical argumentation that is as hostile to scientism as it is attentive to biology's conceptual and experimental rigor, as careful with concepts of rationality as it is committed to rethinking the human place in a radically determined yet forever changing world. This is the first volume to bring together the major strands of Atlan's work for an English-language audience. It is an indispensable compendium for those seeking to clarify the joint stakes and shared import of philosophy and science for questions of life and the living - today and tomorrow.
- Author BiographyHenri Atlan is Professor Emeritus of Biophysics and Director of Research on Human Biology at Hadassah University Hospital in Jerusalem, and Director of Studies at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales in Paris. His books include: the two-volume Les Etincelles de hasard; Enlightenment to Enlightenment: Intercritique of Science and Myth; La fin du tout genetique? and L'uterus artificiel. Starting with its inception in 1983, he was for decades a member of the French National Advisory Committee on Ethics in the Life Sciences and Medicine. Stefanos Geroulanos is Assistant Professor of Modern European Intellectual History at New York University. He is the author of An Atheism That Is Not Humanist Emerges in French Thought and the co-translator of Georges Canguilhem, Knowledge of Life (Fordham). Todd Meyers is Assistant Professor of Medical Anthropology at Wayne State University and the editor of Francois Delaporte's Anatomy of the Passions. He has also co-edited, with Richard Baxstrom, anthropologies, and, with Paola Marrati, Georges Canguilhem's Knowledge of Life (Fordham).
- Author(s)Henri Atlan,Stefanos Geroulanos,Todd Meyers
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2011
- Series TitleForms of Living
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byStefanos Geroulanos,Todd Meyers
- Introduction byStefanos Geroulanos,Todd Meyers
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $5.79New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.