All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionIn Self-Kwledge and Resentment , Akeel Bilgrami argues that self-kwledge of our intentional states is special among all the kwledge we have because it is t an epistemological tion in the standard sense of that term, but instead is a fallout of the radically rmative nature of thought and agency. Four themes or questions are brought together into an integrated philosophical position: What makes self-kwledge different from other forms of kwledge? What makes for freedom and agency in a deterministic universe? What makes intentional states of a subject irreducible to its physical and functional states? And what makes values irreducible to the states of nature as the natural sciences study them? This integration of themes into a single and systematic picture of thought, value, agency, and self-kwledge is essential to the book's aspiration and argument. Once this integrated position is fully in place, the book closes with a postscript on how one might fruitfully view the kind of self-kwledge that is pursued in psychoanalysis.
- Author BiographyAkeel Bilgrami is Johnsonian Professor of Philosophy at Columbia University.
- Author(s)Akeel Bilgrami
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication02/03/2012
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Weight666 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.