Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe collapse of communist systems in South East Europe resulted in a landscape to be newly arranged. Diverse forces compete to capture the popular energies released by the embrace of old and new identities. Deficits of modernization in a post communist nexus have deepened cultural asymmetries and challenge EU integration in new ways. Drives to rule of the strong hand , feod-like patron-client relations, self-orientalization as result of dilettante social engineering and unrealistic cultural politics increase the entropy of transition. Plamen K. Georgiev discusses the most controversial issues of a possible accession of Turkey into EU and its impact on a number of collective identities as Bulgaria, Macedonia, Romania, Croatia, vulnerable to Islamic fundamentalism, but also new breeds of nationalisms. This comparative study prompts apt ideas for EU coordinated national politics, fostering its cultural homogeneity and integrity in a global world of rising risks and new responsibilities.
- Author BiographyPlamen K. Georgiev graduated in sociology at Humboldt University, Berlin. He is an adjunct professor at the Center for Risk Assessment and Security Studies at the New Bulgarian University, Sofia, and columnist of independent European media.
- Author(s)Plamen K. Georgiev
- PublisherGWV Fachverlage GmbH
- Date of Publication03/06/2012
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleCrossculture
- Place of PublicationWiesbaden
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintVS Verlag fur Sozialwissenschaften
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight228 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.