All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn an age of uncertainty, those who can anticipate revolution, the outbreak of wars, or which states might default are much in demand. The marketplace of ideas about the future is huge, and includes 'wonks, scholars and pundits who produce scenarios, predictions and ratings. The more opaque the future seems to be, so the relation between kwledge and power intensifies, above all the nexus between those who sell their expertise and those who consume it. In his investigation of the paradoxes of forecasting, Ariel Colomos interrogates today's kwledge factories to reveal how our futures are shaped by social scientists, think tanks and rating agencies. He explains why conservative and linear predictions prevail, and why the future, especially when linked to national interest, reflects a systematic search for stability. The tion of a globalized world whose main characteristic is speed, and where predictions have accelerating, self-fulfilling effects, is obsolete. Those who are supposed to kw, reassure those who are supposed to act. Their preferences converge, and thus the industry of the future has a decelerating effect on world politics. These 'lords of kwledge' reinforce pre-existing beliefs, create expectations about the future, while obstructing its vision when -- inevitably -- it diverges from its orderly path.
- Author BiographyAriel Colonomos is Senior Research Fellow, CERI/CNRS, Paris.
- Author(s)Ariel Colonomos
- PublisherOxford University Press, USA
- Date of Publication15/08/2016
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press, USA
- Weight408 g
- Width145 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Translated byGregory Elliott
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.54Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $32.25Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $11.14Trending at AU $14.18
- AU $15.04Trending at AU $16.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.