All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionIn Sensational Devotion, Jill Stevenson examines a range of evangelical performances, including contemporary Passion plays, biblical theme parks, Holy Land re-creations, creationist museums, and megachurches, to understand how they serve their evangelical audiences while shaping larger cultural and national dialogues. Such performative media support specific theologies and core beliefs by creating sensual, live experiences for believers, but the accessible, familiar forms they take and the pop culture motifs they employ also attract nbelievers willing to try out these genres, even if only for curiosity's sake. This familiarity t only helps these performances achieve their goals, but it also enables them to contribute to public dialogue about the role of religious faith in America. Stevenson shows how these genres are significant and influential cultural products that utilise sophisticated tactics in order to reach large audiences comprised of firm believers, extreme sceptics, and those in between. Using historical research coupled with personal visits to these various venues, the author t only critically examines these spaces and events within their specific religious, cultural, and national contexts, but also places them within a longer devotional tradition in order to suggest how they cultivate religious belief by generating vivid, sensual, affectively oriented, and individualised experiences.
- Author BiographyJill Stevenson is Associate Professor of Theatre Arts at Marymount Manhattan College, USA.
- Author(s)Jill C. Stevenson
- PublisherThe University of Michigan Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2013
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationAnn Arbor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Michigan Press
- Content Note18 B&W illustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.