All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPresent kwledge of the mechanisms underlying any single sensory modality is so massive as to discourage effort directed towards completeness. The idea underlying the structure of this volume on Sensory transduction was to select just a few topics of general interest, which are currently being investigated and for which a reasonably clear picture is w available. During the last five years there has been a revolution in the way sensory physi- ologists think about transduction, and a series of exciting advances have been made in understanding the basic processes of photo transduction, chemotransduction and mechan- otransduction. It is clear that in many cases the fundamental processes by which nature attains optimization of performance are similar, and that they have much in common with more general processes of signal recognition by living structures. The molecular events underlying the detection of photons by visual cells, the recognition of a given molecule by a chemoreceptor, or the level of a hormone in the extracellular fluid by a target cell, are all very similar, and involve the activation of a sequence of events leading to a secon d messenger. The 20 papers that form the present volume cover various topics in the field of sensory transduction. They originate from the lectures, seminars and discussions which made up the XVIII Course of the International School of Biophysics held in Erice, 9th - 19th June 1988.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication21/03/2012
- Series TitleNATO Science Series A
- Series Part/Volume Number194
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight501 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byAntonio Borsellino,L. Cervetto,Vincent Torre
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1990
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $89.67New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $30.78New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $28.33Trending at AU $30.23
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.