All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThough the public may retain a hoary image of the lone scientific or philosophical genius generating insights in isolation, scholars discarded it long ago. In reality, the families of scientists and philosophers in the Enlightenment played a substantial role, t only making space for inquiry within the home but also assisting in observing, translating, calculating, and illustrating.Sentimental Savants is the first book to explore the place of the family among the savants of the French Enlightenment, a group that openly embraced their families and domestic lives, even going so far as to test out their ideas from education to iculation on their own children. Meghan K. Roberts delves into the lives and work of such major figures as Denis Diderot, emilie Du Ch telet, the Marquis de Condorcet, Antoine Lavoisier, and Jer me Lalande to paint a striking portrait of how sentiment and reason interacted in the eighteenth century to produce t only new kinds of kwledge, but new kinds of families as well.
- Author BiographyMeghan K. Roberts is assistant professor of history at Bowdoin College.
- Author(s)Meghan K. Roberts
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication29/11/2016
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.