All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionVolume 5, Manifest West Series, Western Press Books Serenity and severity form a classic Western dichotomy with many manifestations. Beautiful growth and renewal follow a terrifying and destructive forest fire. Rain upon a hayfield can be interpreted as grace or judgment from above, depending on the season. The unpredictability of nature provides hikers with a breathtaking view one day and a life-threatening scenario the next. Yet the nature of the West does t only imply the outdoors. The people of the West encounter serenity and severity in all aspects of life, and this duality impacts their identity and shapes their lifestyles, outlooks, worldviews, and values. This year's collection includes political discussions, philosophical ponderings, and lighthearted humor that are all a part of life in the West. For the fifth volume of Manifest West, twenty-nine writers explore this theme, revealing the duality of Western life through many different narrative trails-including governed environment, overwhelming fires, hiking adventures, and the effect of location on family. Creativity and diversity come to this anthology in both content and form, with flash fiction joining Manifest West's standard genres of creative nfiction, short fiction, and poetry. Their combined reflections enable us to see the intense relationship between humanity and nature; sometimes nature directs humans' lives, to their harm and to their benefit, and other times, humanity abuses the very environment it cherishes as its home. Authors bring their personal styles, voices, and experiences with life in the West to contribute to a balanced and unique interpretation of serenity and severity. Contributors: Rebecca Aronson, Betsy Bernfeld, Heidi E. Blankenship, Kaye Lynne Booth, Sarah B. Boyle, John Brantingham, William Cass, David Lavar Coy, Benjamin Dancer, Gail Denham, Patricia Frolander, John Haggerty, Lyla D. Hamilton, Michael Harty, Rick Kempa, Don Kunz, Ellaraine Lockie, Nathan Alling Long, Sarah Fawn Montgomery, Juan J. Morales, Lance Nizami, Ronald Pickett, Terry Severhill, David Stallings, Scott T. Starbuck, Abigail Van Kirk, Victoria Waddle, Evan Morgan Williams, Steven Wingate Manifest West is Western Press Books' literary anthology series. The press, affiliated with Western State Colorado University, produces one anthology annually and focuses on Western regional writing.
- PublisherWestern Press Books
- Date of Publication15/07/2016
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestern Press Books
- Weight181 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byCaleb Seeling
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.