All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnxiety disorders have long been a research subject for scientists in different areas of inquiry, and the particular role of serotonin - the neurotransmitter which has probably most captured the imagination of laymen and academics alike - is as elusive as the clinical aspects of serotonergic medications. Why are drugs acting at certain serotonin receptors efficacious against generalized anxiety disorder, but t panic disorder? Why is the inverse true for moamine oxidase inhibitors? These clinically relevant issues are clarified by the neurochemical, anatomical and physiological organization of the serotonergic system. In this book, the author summarizes the latest findings regarding the role of serotonin in modulating the activity of brain regions which organize behavioral patterns associated with fear, anxiety and stress. The emergent picture is one of far greater complexity than previously thought: while the serotonergic innervation of those brain regions arises from the same structure - the dorsal raphe nucleus - that structure is t homogeneous from anatomical, physiological and neurochemical points of view, r are its projections to the cerebral aversive and behavioral inhibition systems. The diverse findings which compose this picture of complexity - whether they arise from developmental neurobiology, electrophysiology, neurochemistry, neuroendocrilogy, neuropsychopharmacology or behavioral neuroscience - are integrated in this book. Advanced undergraduate, graduate students, and researchers will benefit from the information. The result sheds light on many important questions regarding the neuroanatomical, pharmacological and functional aspects of the role of serotonin in anxiety disorders, and points to future avenues of research.
- Author(s)Caio Maximino
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication31/05/2012
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleSpringerbriefs in Neuroscience
- Series Part/Volume Number2
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 5 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight201 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.