Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
About this product
- DescriptionReflecting the current emphasis in social care, social policy and welfare on the ideas of community and active citizenship, this book draws implications from the history of the settlement movement in Britain and the States which will inform and contextualise contemporary practice and policy. The contributors to this illuminating book develop the basic settlement concepts of strong communities and links across groups with different kinds of need, and apply them to current policy developments in community responsibility, the role of voluntary work and the future of social care. The issues explored through the history of the settlement movement are t only applicable to practice; they will also reinforce the identity of social care as a profession.
- Author BiographyRuth Gilchrist is a development worker with Newcastle-upon-Tyne YMCA. She is currently involved in setting up a new settlement with the two universities and the YMCA. She is a member of the editorial board of Youth and Policy. She has been involved in researching rural youth provision and truancy and is employed as a part-time lecturer in community arts at the University of Durham. Tony Jeffs is a senior lecturer at the University of Durham community youth work unit. He previously taught social policy and sociology at the University of Northumbria. He was the founding editor of Youth and Policy and co-edited the Yearbook of Social Work and Social Welfare. He has written extensively on youth work, informal education and social work. He is the author of Young People and the Youth Service.
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/02/2001
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight381 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byRuth Gilchrist,Tony Jeffs
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.