All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe later stages of dementia are as important, if t more so, as the earlier stages, since they harbour unique characteristics and events, which profoundly affect the lives of patients and their carers. Severe dementia has t had a high profile in the clinical literature as until recently progsis was poor and there were few beneficial interventions. With the recent licensing of memantine, clinicians finally have a drug option that will delay disease progression. Severe Dementia is the first book to focus exclusively on severe dementia. It addresses both the clinical features of the disease and the social aspects of care. Introductory chapters on the differential diagsis, neurochemistry and molecular pathology of severe dementia set the scene for the clinical discussion. Detailed clinical chapters on cognitive function, depression, physical effects, staging and function follow. All therapeutic interventions are then discussed, including memantine, anticholinesterases, neuroleptics and n-pharmacological treatment. The final chapters review the social and ecomic aspects of dementia care, including family involvement, person-centered care, palliative care, ethics and health ecomics. Written and edited by experts in geriatric psychiatry and geriatrics, Severe Dementia is of value to all clinicians involved in the management of this complex and vulnerable group of patients. It is also of interest to general practitioners and carers in nursing homes.
- Author BiographyProfessor Alistair Burns, University of Manchester, UK, Professor of Old Age Psychiatry, Director of Research and Development for the South Manchester University Hospitals' Trust, Editor of the International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Chair of the UK Alzheimer's Society Medical and Scientific Advisory Committee Panel, Immediate past-president of the International Psychogeriatrics Association (IPA) Dr. Bengt Winblad, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, Professor of Geriatric Medicine, IPA Board Member, member of the Nobel Assembly for the Prize of Medicine and Physiology at the Karolinska Institute, Research Director of the Stockholm Gerontology Research Center.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication21/04/2006
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationChichester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight606 g
- Width181 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAlistair S. Burns,Bengt Winblad,Sibte Hadi
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.26
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.39
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.57
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.