All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRecent years have seen a growing interest in undetermined and unqualified urban spaces. Understanding cities as spaces for encounter, conflict and otherness, this book argues that this indeterminacy is t marginal but a key characteristic of urban space, and degrees of liberty foster change, creativity, and political action. The urban void is a conceptual construct that aims to render a principle of absence apprehensible, and to describe how it intervenes in place-making in the city. Seville: Through the Urban Void build mostly upon Henri Lefebvre's work using concepts drawn on the social sciences, in order to articulate a biographic narrative of the Alameda de Hercules in Seville, Spain, which stands both as an outstanding instance of urban space and a very influential urban type. During its long historical span the Alameda has undergone alternating periods of decline and development, revealing the relations between successive urban paradigms and ideas of nature, territory, and the people. For the first time its whole history is told in a single account, which adds new perspectives to its understanding, and brings forward formerly disregarded aspects. This book shows how its liminal nature, which stubbornly persists over time, creates the conditions for creative processes.
- Author BiographyMiguel Torres Garcia is an architect, holding an MSc degree in Spatial Planning (KTH, Sweden) and a PhD in Human Geography (University of Manchester, UK). Experienced in the fields of architecture, planning, heritage, and landscape, his research interests encompass urban studies, history, and the rapport between practice and the built environment.
- Author(s)Miguel Torres
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication05/09/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleBuilt Environment City Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables, 19 black & white line drawings
- Weight272 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.