Sex After Service: A Guide for Military Service Members, Veterans, and the People Who Love Them by Drew A. Helmer (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $56.72Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $22.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMilitary service members and veterans are perhaps particularly vulnerable to sexual dysfunction given some common experiences in the military and during combat deployments. Deployment to a combat theater is an inherently stressful experience, made worse with actual combat exposure and other physical and psychological hardships and trauma. This in turn contributes to higher rates of physical damage (including traumatic brain injury and amputations), post-traumatic stress disorder, and unhealthy coping mechanisms (alcohol and substance abuse). Medications commonly prescribed to treat or manage these conditions can also contribute to sexual dysfunction. Perhaps worst of all, the most intense period of experiencing these complications is likely to occur in the service member's or veteran's 20s and early 30s, the life stage at which most Americans are dating, selecting a partner, and creating a family. Sexual dysfunction can have significant impacts on all of those important activities. This book serves as an authoritative resource for military service members, veterans, and those who love them, on all manner of sexual health issues. Starting with an introduction to the basic concepts of sexual health, Helmer then goes on to discuss the effects of combat on overall health, sexual health and function, and differences in those effects on men and women. Including Veterans' stories throughout, the book illustrates some of the challenges and complex situations empathically and in njudgmental terms. While many service members join and experience combat before the age of 30, the author also considers the effects of aging and life stage on sexual health and function in military personnel. Finally, Helmer clearly articulates a process for determining if there is a sexual health issue that rises to the level of a problem and what can be done about it. This is handled with a positive, hopeful tone and general, yet effective, suggestions on where and how to seek assistance.
- Author BiographyDrew A. Helmer, MD, MS, is an internist and primary care physician who has assisted many Veterans with their sexual health concerns and learned with them how best to talk about and problem-solve solutions within and outside of the healthcare system. He has published several original research articles about Veterans' sexual health concerns and presented his findings at national and international meetings. Dr. Helmer is the Director of the War-Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC) in New Jersey and Associate Professor of Medicine at Rutgers University-NJ Medical School. The WRIISC is one of three centers funded by the Veterans Health Administration to further the health and quality of life of veterans with deployment health concerns through research, education and clinical care.
- Author(s)Drew A. Helmer
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication11/12/2014
- SubjectSex & Sexuality
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Weight404 g
- Width161 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.