All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this new collection of essays, Wendell Berry continues his work as one of America s most necessary social commentators. With wisdom and clear, ringing prose, he tackles head-on some of the most difficult problems which face us as we near the end of the twentieth century. Berry begins the title essay with the Anita Hill Clarence Thomas hearings as an example of a process that has been well established and well respected for at least two hundred years the process . . . of community disintegration. Community, a locally understood interdependence of local people, local culture, local ecomy, and local nature, bound by trust and affection, is being destroyed by the desires and ambitions of both private and public life which for want of the intervention of community interests, are also destroying one ather. He then moves on to elucidate connections between sexual brutality and ecomic brutality, and the role of art and free speech. Berry forcefully addresses America s unabashed pursuit of self-liberation, which he says is still the strongest force w operating in our society. As individuals turn away from their community, they conform to a rootless and placeless moculture of commercial expectations and products, buying into the very ecomic system which is destroying the earth, our communities, and all they represent. Throughout the book Berry asks, What is appropriate? What is worth conserving from our past and preserving in our present? What is it to be human and truly connected to others? What does it mean to be free?
- Author BiographyWENDELL BERRY is the author of more than two dozen books, including Fidelity, What Are People For? and The Unsettling of America.He livesand writes on hisfarm in Kentucky and teaches at the University of Kentucky.
- Author(s)Wendell Berry
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPantheon Books Inc
- Out-of-print date24/11/2015
- Weight227 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.