Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
About this product
- DescriptionPsychopathology is the science of deviant behavior. However, as psy chopathologists, our explanations of deviant behavior are t developed in a sterile, laboratory environment. Abrmality is a relative concept, and the labeling of someone or some behavior as abrmal is inextrica bly linked to a particular social context. In the United States, for exam ple, a woman reporting vivid hallucinations is likely to be committed to a mental hospital and the behavior considered maladaptive. In other cultures, the same behavior may be interpreted as reflecting magical, healing powers, and the woman hored and revered. An explicit assumption underlying this book is that elements of social causality influence the development and maintenance of psycho pathology. While the chapters emphasize environmental influences, this is t intended to negate the importance of physiological, biological, genetic, or hormonal factors in relation to psychopathology. The purpose of this book is to examine the impact of sex role ster eotypes on the occurrence and distribution of specific forms of psycho pathology. In contrast to prior work, which emphasizes sex differences (e.g., Franks and Gomberg's Gender and Disordered Behavior) these are t the primary focus of this volume. Sex Roles and Psychopathology analyzes the extent to which cultural rms about the sexes, societal expectations and values about sex-typed behavior and sex differences, and profes sional biases influence the development, manifestation, and mainte nance of abrmal behavior among men and women.
- Date of Publication03/04/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, bibliography
- Weight562 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byCathy Widom
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.