All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionSex, Slavery and the Trafficked Woman is a go-to text for readers who seek a comprehensive overview of the meaning of 'human trafficking' and current debates and perspectives on the issue. It presents a more nuanced understanding of human trafficking and its victims by examining - and challenging - the conventional assumptions that sit at the heart of mainstream approaches to the topic. A pioneering study, the arguments made in this book are largely drawn from the author's fieldwork in Ukraine, Vietnam and Ghana. The author demonstrates to readers how a law enforcement and criminal justice-oriented approach to trafficking has developed at the expense of a migration and human rights perspective. She highlights the importance of viewing trafficking within a broad spectrum of migratory movement. The author contests the coerced, female victim archetype as stereotypical and challenges the reader to understand trafficking in an alternative manner, introducing the counterintuitive concept of the 'voluntary victim'. Overall, this text provides readers of migration and development, gender studies, women's rights and international law a comprehensive and multidisciplinary analysis of the concept of trafficking.
- Author BiographyA human rights lawyer and activist, Ramona Vijeyarasa is the Senior Programme Manager for Women's Rights at ActionAid International. Ramona's career spans a range of human rights non-governmental and international organisations, including the International Organisation for Migration (Hanoi and Kiev), the Center for Reproductive Rights (New York) and the International Center for Transitional Justice (New York). Ramona holds a PhD from the School of Social Sciences at the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Sydney. She has published extensively in the field of gender and human rights, including in edited volumes, leading international journals and online.
- Author(s)Dr. Ramona Vijeyarasa
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/08/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleGender in a Global/Local World
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 7 b&w illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Pauline Gardiner Barber,Professor Marianne H. Marchand,Professor Jane L. Parpart
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.