All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPaola Monzini's new book focuses on the experiences of migrant women and girls who have very little choice or control over their lives. They can be distinguished from those women who do work as prostitutes, with some automy, however limited. Rooting her analysis firmly within the context of neo-liberal globalization, Monzini views these women and girls as the new 'slaves' of the contemporary era. The annual worth of this global industry is w estimated to be in the region of USD7 billion, making it particularly attractive to organised crime networks. In China, traffickers can buy a girl for USD20-50 and sell her to a brothel in San Fransisco for USD3,000. This situation has resulted in increasing numbers of women forced to compete for work in conditions of extreme sexual exploitation, often being exposed to risky sexual practices, high levels of HIV, violence and murder. As in many other contexts, the laws of the marketplace are applied with extreme brutality.
- Author BiographyPaola Monzini is a sociologist with a PhD in social and political science from the European University Institute. She has worked as a consultant for both the Direzione Investigativa Antimafia, the Italian law-enforcement agency fighting organized crime, and more recently, as a researcher in the United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI). Monzini's primary research interests are the social and political aspects of transnational organised crime, illegal markets and migration issues. This is her second book.
- Author(s)Paola Monzini
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2005
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleGlobal Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Content NoteNotes Bibliography Index
- Weight177 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byPatrick Camiller
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.