All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe very first photographs of the nineteenth century were produced without the use of a camera. Today, having rediscovered camera-less techniques, a number of artists are using camera-less photography to create beautiful, startling images. Now available in an updated and fully revised edition, Shadow Catchers surveys the work of five leading practitioners - Pierre Cordier, Susan Derges, Adam Fuss, Garry Fabian Miller and Floris Neususs - who, by casting shadows on light-sensitive paper or by chemically manipulating its surface, capture the presence of objects, figures or glowing light. The resulting pictures are consistently powerful, often with surreal effects and symbolic content. This is the first book to gather together the work of these key contemporary artists, revealing the technical processes and creative practices involved in their art. In an age of mass-produced imagery, Shadow Catchers offers a fascinating insight into a world of handcrafted photographs that are at once visually striking and intellectually stimulating.
- Author BiographyMARTIN BARNES is Senior Curator of Photographs at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. His books Illumine: Photographs by Garry Fabian Miller : A Retrospective and Twilight: Photography in the Magic Hour were published by Merrell in 2005 and 2006 respectively.
- Author(s)Martin Barnes
- PublisherMerrell Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication01/08/2012
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMerrell Publishers Ltd
- Content Note120 colour illustrations
- Weight1656 g
- Width250 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.