All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA story of two Australian Afghan Muslim women and the tension within a family over the wearing of the headscarf. A young Australian-born Muslim woman turns to the religion of her heritage for answers after the September 11 attacks in 2001, resulting in a deep experience of faith and a controversial decision to wear the hijab. Partly a plea for understanding, partly a bellow of rage from Muslim Australian women about the igrance and misunderstanding that surrounds the wearing of the traditional Muslim headscarf, Shafana and Aunt Sarrinah is based on personal interviews with Muslim women from a diversity of Muslim cultures. The play addresses theatrical and social questions about representation, religious freedom and inter-generational conflict.
- Author BiographyAlana Valentine's writing has been awarded the 2004 Queensland Premier's Award for best Drama Script, 2003 NSW Writer's Fellowship, the 2002 Rodney Seaborn Playwrights' Award and an International Writing Fellowship at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London. She has also received a 2001 commendation for the Louis Esson Prize, a 1999 AWGIE Award, a residency at the Banff Playwrights' Conference in Canada, the ANPC/New Dramatists Award in NYC, a Churchill Fellowship for England and Ireland and a NSW Premier's Award. In 2012 she won the prestigious STAGE Award for Ear to the Edge of Time. Her stage plays include Butterfly Dandy, Covenant, The Prospectors, Run Rabbit Run, Titania's Boy, Savage Grace, Row of Tents, The Conjurers, Ozone, Spool Time and Swimming the Globe. Alana has written numerous award winning radio plays as well as episodes of the television series McLeod's Daughters and Fat Tuesday.
- Author(s)Alana Valentine
- PublisherCurrency Press Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2010
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Place of PublicationPaddington
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintCurrency Press Pty Ltd
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight90 g
- Width215 mm
- Height140 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.