All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBetween the late 1970s and the early 1980s, Nayra Atiya gathered the oral histories of five Egyptian men: a fisherman, an attorney, a scholar, a businessman, and a production manager. Through personal interviews over the course of several years, Atiya intimately captured the everyday triumphs and struggles of these young men in a rapidly changing Egyptian society. These tender stories of childhood experiences in the rural countryside, of the rigors of schooling, and of the many challenges in navigating adulthood shed light on both the rich diversity of Egyptian society and the values and traditions that are shared by all Egyptians. The concept of shahaama-a code of hor that demands loyalty, generosity, and a readiness to help others-is threaded throughout the narratives, reflecting its deeply rooted presence in Egyptian culture. Moving beyond leaden stereotypes of the oppressive Middle Eastern male, these candid selfportraits reveal the complexity of male identity in contemporary Egyptian society, highlighting the men-s desires for ecomically viable lives, the same desires that fuel the many Egyptians today working toward revolutionary change.
- Author BiographyNayra Atiya is an American oral historian, writer, and translator born in Egypt. Her book Khul-Khaal: Five Egyptian Women Tell Their Stories won a UNICEF prize in 1990 and has been widely translated.
- Author(s)Nayra Atiya
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication29/02/2016
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Series TitleContemporary Issues in the Middle East
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Weight249 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byAndrea Rugh
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.