All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings together a selection of essays on the reception and dissemination of Shakespeare's plays in England and beyond from the 17th century to the present. Written from the perspective of a nation or cluster of nations in which Shakespeare has been used either to reflect, legitimize or challenge different versions of authoritarian rule, each of the chapters offers a picture of Shakespeare as unwitting commentator on some of the most significant and unsettling political events in Europe and elsewhere. Illustrating and analyzing changing attitudes to Shakespeare and his work in various tyrannical and post-tyrannical contexts in both Western and Eastern Europe, North Africa and South America, the volume provides insights into issues like the role of censorship and self-censorship in the revision and production of Shakespearean material; institutional controls on the dissemination and publication of Shakespeare's work; assumptions and techniques in the staging of his plays; state intervention in the elaboration of a Shakespeare can ; the role of Shakespeare in the construction of identity under tyranny; and the pertinence or otherwise of the subversion/containment paradigm following events such as the collapse of communism and the so-called Arab Spring .
- Author BiographyKeith Gregor teaches English and Comparative Literature at the University of Murcia in Spain. He has published widely on Shakespearean performance and translation and currently heads a government-funded project looking at Shakespeare's presence in Spain in the context of his reception in Europe.
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication01/08/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Weight522 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byKeith Gregor
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.