All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn devoting a whole book to Measure for Measure Miss Lascelles has expressed her conviction that in other way can the sharp divisions of opinion which characterise recent criticism of the play be resolved. She considers that to continue discussing the large issues involved in the limited space of a single article or chapter is to continue to fail to take full account of the difficulties the reader or playgoer finds perplexing. Her study falls into three main sections. She begins by discussing other versions of the story in European literature that may have been kwn to Shakespeare, and the way in which they may be used to throw light on his intentions. Next, she undertakes a long and reflective analysis of the play's successive phases. Finally, at the conclusion of this essential investigation of the evidence, she shows how it supports the view that the complexity of Measure for Measure is the necessary condition of its greatness.
- Author BiographyMary Lascelles was Vice-Principal of Somerville College, Oxford, and a University lecturer in English.
- Author(s)Mary Lascelles
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication07/11/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleBloomsbury Academic Collections: English Literary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight241 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.56Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.