All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRecent work in Shakespeare studies has brought to the forefront a variety of ways in which the collaborative nature of Shakespearean drama can be investigated: collaborative performance (Shakespeare and his fellow actors); collaborative writing (Shakespeare and his co-authors); collaborative textual production (Shakespeare and his transcribers and printers). What this leaves unaccounted for, is the form of collaboration that affects more than any other our modern reading experience of Shakespeare's plays: what we read as Shakespeare w always comes to us in the form of a collaborative enterprise - and is decisively shaped by the nature of the collaboration - between Shakespeare and his modern editors.Contrary to much recent criticism, this book suggests that modern textual mediators have a positive rather than negative role: they are t simply 'pimps of discourse' or cultural tyrants whose oppressive interventions we need to 'unedit' but collaborators who can decisively shape and enable our response to Shakespeare's plays.Erne argues that any reader of Shakespeare, scholar, student, or general reader, approaches Shakespeare through modern editions that have an endlessly complicated and fascinating relationship to what Shakespeare may actually have intended and written, that modern editors determine what that relationship is, and that it is generally a very good thing that they do so. Shakespeare Now! is a series of short books that engage imaginatively and often provocatively with the possibilities of Shakespeare's plays. It goes back to the source - the most living language imaginable - and recaptures the excitement, audacity and surprise of Shakespeare. It will return you to the plays with opened eyes.
- Author BiographyLukas Erne is Professor of English Literature at the University of Geneva. He is author of Shakespeare as Literary Dramatist (Cambridge, 2003). He has taught at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, at the University of Neuchatel and, as Visiting Professor, at Yale University.
- Author(s)Lukas Erne
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication18/12/2007
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleShakespeare Now!
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2007
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight240 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $189.94New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.27New
- AU $93.07Used
- AU $93.07New
- AU $101.13New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.88New
- AU $61.04Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.72
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.18
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.07
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.43
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.