All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionShakespeare's plays are pervaded by political and ecomic words and concepts, t only in the histories and tragedies but also in the comedies and romances. The lexicon of political and ecomic language in Shakespeare does t consist merely of arcane terms whose shifting meanings require exposition, but includes an ermous number of relatively simple words which possess a structural significance in the configuration of meanings. Often operating by such means as puns, they open up a surprising number of possibilities. The dictionary reveals the conceptual nucleus of each term and explores the contexts in which it is embedded. The overlap between the political and ecomic dimensions of a word in Shakespeare's drama is particularly exciting as he is highly attuned to the interactions of these two spheres of human activity and their centrality in human affairs.
- Author BiographyVivian Thomas was formerly Lecturer in English at the universities of Birmingham and Warwick. A graduate of Oxford and Cambridge universities he also studied at Columbia University, New York and the University of Moscow. Previously Lecturer in Economics at the University of St Andrews, he has been Visiting Lecturer at the New University of Lisbon, the universities of Cologne, Gdansk and Valenciennes. His publications include: The Moral Universe of Shakespeare's Problem Plays; Shakespeare's Roman Worlds; Julius Caesar and Shakespeare's Plants and Gardens: A Dictionary (Bloomsbury, 2014).
- Author(s)Vivian Thomas
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication29/01/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleArden Shakespeare Dictionaries
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight631 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.