Shanghai Quartet: The Crossings of Four Women in China by Min-Zhan Lu (Hardback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $43.11Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSteeped in the Chinese tradition of recording family tales and keeping the family register, Min-Zhan Lu gives us this moving and powerful memoir describing the lives of four women of China--her grandmother, her nanny, her mother, and herself. I wrote these family stories hoping that you will someday want to read them, she writes to her daughter in the book's opening lines. I offer them to you as beginnings: tes on a lifeline of crossings for you to take over and work on. The complex emotional landscape of this book centers around Min-Zhan Lu--both the immigrant who has crossed over to America and the tale-teller. In each of four sections, she tells us the intergenerational story of these women, each of whom crosses over time, history, custom and geography to come into her own. This overall frame is a vehicle for a woman trying to recite the family stories for her daughter--partly to heal the complex divisions between them, partly to understand her own past and how it has shaped her identity, partly as an act of the larger love she longs to represent, partly to sing the past into the future. But Shanghai Quartet, amazingly, is even more than such a vehicle for a mother-daughter dialogue and story. This book paints a less-than-familiar portrait of Chinese life in the last century. Here, as we come to kw Min-Zhan Lu's family, we find credible lives, t propaganda or stereotypes. We see so much: a Chinese Catholic family in Shanghai; the events of the Cultural Revolution through a child's family experiences; the decision to come to America and be separated from family; and the next, postmodern generation of young Chinese abroad.
- Author BiographyMin-Zhan Lu is Endowment Professor of the Humanities at Drake University. She has published work on the composing of personal narratives, pedagogy and teaching nontraditional students. One of her essays was the recipient of the national Mina P. Shaughnessy Award.
- Author(s)Min-Zhan Lu
- PublisherDuquesne University Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2001
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleEmerging Writers in Creative Nonfiction
- Place of PublicationPittsburg
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuquesne University Press
- Weight694 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.