All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNow a BBC Radio 4 Drama Series. 'The system has place for a cop who puts justice above the interests of the Party. It's a miracle that I survived as long as I did.' For years, Chen Cao managed to balance the interests of the Communist Party and the demands made by his job. He was considered a rising star until, after one too many controversial cases that embarrassed powerful men, he found himself neutralised. Under the guise of a promotion, he's been stripped of his title and his influence, discredited and isolated. Soon it becomes clear that his enemies still aren't satisfied, and that someone is attempting to have him killed - quietly. Chen has been charged with the investigation into a 'Red Prince' - a high Party figure who embodies the ruthless ambition, greed and corruption that is on the rise in China. But with power, few allies, and his own reputation and life on the line, he kws he is facing the most dangerous case of his career.
- Author BiographyQiu Xiaolong (pronounced 'Joe Shau-long') was born in Shanghai. The Cultural Revolution began in his last year of elementary school, and out of school, out of job, he studied English by himself in a local park. In 1977, he began his studies at East China Normal University in Shanghai, and then the Chinese Academy of Social Science in Beijing. After graduation, he worked at the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences as an associate research professor, published poems, translations and criticism, and became a member of the Chinese Writers' Association. In 1988, he came to Washington University in St. Louis, U.S. as a Ford foundation fellow to do a project on Eliot, but after the Tiananmen tragedy of 1989, he decided to stay on. He then obtained a Ph.D. in comparative literature at Washington University and taught there. Having won several awards for his poetry in English, he moved on to write a novel about contemporary Chinese society in transition, which developed into the critically acclaimed, award-winning Inspector Chen series. The series has been translated into sixteen languages. In addition, Qiu Xiaolong has published a poetry collection, several poetry translations, and a collection of linked stories (also serialized in Le Monde). He lives in St. Louis with his wife and daughter.
- Author(s)Qiu Xiaolong
- PublisherHodder & Stoughton General Division
- Date of Publication07/04/2016
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleInspector Chen Cao
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMulholland Books
- Weight236 g
- Width130 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.57Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.