Shaping the Developing World: The West, the South, and the Natural World by Andy Baker (Paperback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $125.99Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $101.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInterdisciplinary in his scope, Andy Baker adeptly uses a threefold framework of the West, the South, and the Natural World to systematically break down the factors contributing to underdevelopment--from the legacies of colonialism and deficient domestic institutions, to the effects of globalization and the impact of geography and environmental degradation. Students learn to think like social scientists while coming to understand the interplay of influences on a nation's political, ecomic, and social development. Country case studies at the end of each chapter offer an ideal testing ground for applying the threefold framework, testing explanations with empirical data. Critical thinking questions then encourage students to weigh different theoretical arguments. A series of well-designed features develop students' understanding of ecomic indicators as well as highlight the ways development work is done in the field. Shaping the Developing World presents high-quality academic analysis and the latest scholarship in a format that's engaging, informative, and above all, accessible.
- Author BiographyAndy Baker is Associate Professor of Political Science and Faculty Associate in the Institute of Behavioral Science at the University of Colorado Boulder. He teaches courses on comparative politics, political economy, global development, and African and Latin American politics. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2001. Andy conducts research on Latin American politics, international political economy, and mass political behavior. In 2009, he published a book with Cambridge University Press, entitled The Market and the Masses in Latin America: Policy Reform and Consumption in Liberalizing Economies, on the nature and causes of citizens' attitudes toward free-market policies in 18 Latin American nations. Andy has also published articles in American Journal of Political Science, World Politics, Latin American Research Review, and Electoral Studies. His current research projects focus on the Latin American Left, public opinion toward foreign aid in donor countries, and the impact of globalization on economic insecurity in the developing world.
- Author(s)Andy Baker
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCQ Press
- Content NoteIllustrationsstrations
- Weight1089 g
- Width190 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.